Friday, June 04, 2010

Cam Cutes: Poetry

For a long time now, we have been telling poems to Cameron at night. Cam has recently started reciting the poems along with us, or for us.

Tim has one that is "his poem", and I have two. Tim's poem is more of a saying:
Red sky at night, sailors delight
Red sky in morning, sailors take warning


Cameron's version is:
Red sky at night, sailors delight
Red sky at night, sailors to light
Red sky at night, sailors delight
Red sky at night, sailors to light

I have been working on the second part with him, but he doesn't ever remember it. We are working on it though!

As for Mama's poems, the main one that we say is Robert Frost's "Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening". Grandma taught me this poem when I was little so it seems appropriate to pass it along to my boy. The last stanza goes like this:
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
And I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Cameron likes to repeat this stanza with me, usually just the last few words of each line. The other night we were saying the poem together, and Cam was repeating it with me. He got it all right until the last lines. He said: "And miles to go before I go to bed"!! Not sure if Robert Frost would like that interpretation of it since it doesn't exactly go with the rhyming scheme, but I thought it was very cute!

No comments: