Thursday, July 02, 2009

Trip to San Francisco

A few weeks back, I had a business trip to Fremont, CA, which is just south of San Francisco. I was able to get an early flight out on Tuesday morning so I arrived there by 11am PST. I spent the day with Aunt Susan and Alex, and it was wonderful. First Aunt Susan and I headed over to the Ferry Building near the Bay Bridge and went to lunch (well, dinner for me) at a Vietnamese restaurant. It was delicious! The building it was in was an indoor market and was very cool.

Bay Bridge, taken from the Ferry Building
Rumor has it that those white things under the bridge inspired George Lucas for the AT-AT walkers in Star Wars. There certainly is a similarity...
One of the funny-named stores in the Ferry building market.
The name isn't funny but the description sure is...
A funny sculpture in the park across from the Ferry Building. The standing-up face reminds me of a face that Paul always makes.
In the foreground is a funky sculpture/fountain and in the background is the Ferry Building.
Palm trees and the Bay Bridge
After lunch we went over to Alex's school, then headed up north to Novato where Aunt Susan and Alex live. I got a tour of their house and then we headed back out to go hiking in a canyon near their house. It was really nice; it seemed impossible that just 45 minutes before we were in busy, noisy San Francisco. It was so quiet and peaceful. We had a great hike, then went back to their house for a bit of Wii Fit before I had to leave to drive to my hotel in Fremont.

Alex climbed a bunch of the trees
This was the trail... so pretty!
This was cool, kind of like a tree growing inside a tree.
Pretty flowers
Aunt Susan and Alex
Thanks for the great day, Aunt Susan and Alex. I love having business trips out to SF!!

1 comment:

Aunt Susan said...

How delightful, to see a synopsis of what was a wonderful visit for us, too! What do I have to wish for - that the business in Fremont keeps running into problems that you'll need to keep coming back to fix, or that it's wildly successful and they want you to keep coming back to advance it?

The "white things under the bridge" are cranes to unload container ships at the Port of Oakland. The hike we went on after we got to our house is one that always amazes me - it's at the end of a surburban street lined with houses, so it looks like any of the neighborhood streets we're all used to - except that at the end of the street, there's a wooden fence, beyond which you step into a canyon that runs back into the coastal mountains, complete with a creek that runs the length to a waterfall at the back of the canyon.

We've loved having Kristin visit. I hope we'll see her a lot more, and that Tim and Cam can come on one of these trips, too.