Friday, September 13, 2013

Leah Lovely: Beauty

During a recent car ride we stopped to get gas at a backwoods mom-and-pop gas station.  Leah said she had to go to the bathroom, so we headed into the rather grungy looking store and were pointed towards the bathroom.  We went in and the bathroom was clean enough, but very outdated.  The floor was faded, grayed linoleum and the walls were covered in decades old, faded wallpaper.  As Leah sat on the potty doing her business, she looked around at the decor.

Leah: Mama, it is so beautiful in here.
Mama: What do you mean?  It is kind of dirty and old looking.
Leah: Mama, you're not looking at the right things.  The walls are covered with flowers and the floor has a beautiful pattern on it.

I looked around and it turns out that she was right - the wallpaper was covered in tiny pink and blue flowers, and the floor had a really cool geometric pattern.  All I saw was the dirt; all she saw was the beauty.  It was a wonderful reminder that it just takes a little shift in perception for the world to be beautiful and I love that it was my smart, perceptive girl who reset me on that.

I love you so much, Leah Kate!!

1 comment:

GGrandma K. said...

Dear Kristin,
Finally I can see your pictures on my computor! And They are grand![ my computor has had a whole reset!! ] Leah IS lovely! And "out of the mouths!!" yes, it is hum bling to raise chuldren!! Continues thru life!!