Thursday, June 02, 2011

Leah's First Birthday Party

Well, this post is a month late, but I guess I have a good excuse for being behind on posts. I am hoping that there will be lots of posts in the next few weeks as I catch up on everything! First up - a summary of Leah's First birthday party.

Leah's party was on her actual birthday - Sunday, May 1st. The party started at 11, which probably wasn't a good idea on my part at all. Leah usually takes her nap at school around 11:30, after lunch. At home on the weekends, she takes a nap around 12:30. I tried to get her to nap in the morning, but she was having none of that. She knew something exciting was going on and wasn't about to go to sleep. That lead to one very cranky baby, right around party time. She didn't want lunch, but didn't want to nap either. Finally I got her to eat a bit and go down for a nap, but at that point the party had been going on for a while and we really didn't want to drag it out. So after Leah slept for about an hour and a half, I was a bad Mama and woke her up. Poor baby was not happy. Sorry Leah! So this long paragraph explains why Leah is unhappy in many of the pictures!

The cakes I made for Leah! I was actually very happy with how they turned out. They are all from two 9x13 pans. It started with the number one, then I wanted to make a little cake for Leah to have as her own. Then there were a bunch of leftover pieces, so they went into the rectangle cake. I am pretty proud of these. :)

Leah playing with her buddy Emily

Leah, just woken up mid-nap, listening to everyone sing to her (obviously a little dazed)

She didn't really know what to do - after a bit of prompting, she went for the frosting (smart girl!)

Hmmm, this is yummy

Time to dig her hands in! Actually, this is about as far into it as she got. She really wasn't too interested in eating much of the cake.

Yummy frosting!

Cam loved the cake too

Leah, schnuli (aka pacifier) in and ready to go.

Very unhappy to have the schnuli removed! It's her party and she'll cry if she wants to.

Leah is ready for the first present (schnuli back in, of course!). Cameron was very proud to be the deliverer of presents.

Helping Leah open presents

Abby and Cameron bring Cam's gift for Leah over to her

Sleepy girl takes a break mid-gift opening

Party goers - Uncle Chris, Aunt Jen, Abby, Gina, Uncle Matt

Bridgette peeking

Leah and some of her gifts

After the party was over, Cameron and Leah played with one of Leah's gifts, a sandbox from Nana and Poppa. They had a blast playing together!

They also got completely filthy

Cameron doing some fancy footwork

This is what happens when a schnuli falls into the sand and then the owner of said schnuli puts it back into her mouth. Sand lipstick!

After time in the sand, we decided to have some dinner. We gave Leah another chance at her birthday cake. She did pretty well the second time around (although she still mainly only wanted the frosting)

She hit a wall pretty quickly though and was done with the cake.

Frosting hairdo

The official Mama and Leah birthday picture! I get one of me and the birthday child each year on their special day.

Happy First Birthday our sweet baby girl!! We love you Leah!!!

1 comment:

Sue Kinsella said...

Love the frosting hairdo!