Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cam Cute Follow-up

Remember when I wrote about how Cameron was asking me to "tin" (sing)? Ever since the first time, singing has been a regular occurrence in our night time routine. We go upstairs and get into PJs, then get into the rocking chair and read two books. The lights go out, and Cam makes his big decision - "Tin" or "No". If he doesn't want me to sing, he says "No" and puts his hand over my mouth. If he does want me to sing, he points to my mouth and commands "Tin". Often times, my choices of songs is not to his liking so I get a "Nonononono" and a hand over the mouth.

I have come to realize that, on nights when he isn't ready for sleep yet, he doesn't like the sleepy songs like "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and "Rock-a-bye Baby". On those nights, he much prefers me to sing the alphabet or something a bit more upbeat. Lately, he has even joined in on singing the alphabet with me, which mainly consists of "Beeee, Beee, Beee, Eeeee" - a good start to learning it. On other nights, when he is sleepy and ready to snuggle in for the night, he is much more in the mood for Twinkle Twinkle or something similarly slow.

3 comments:

Poppa said...

This is really cute - next time he stays over I'll see how he likes my rendition of Springsteen's "Born to Run"

Sue Kinsella said...

It's so charming to hear about you singing to Cam.

I used to sing to Alex with my own words to Brahm's Lullaby. I'd start out, "Little boy, precious boy, oh my sweetheart, my darlin'," and then the words would change depending on whatever I thought of for the rest of the song. Alex never seemed to pay much attention to it, so I was surprised one day when he wanted me to sing to him and he asked for "the Little Boy song." I hadn't realized until then that it actually meant a lot to him. A sweet memory.

Traveling Walkers said...

Aunt Sue - I make up words to songs like that all the time, and Brahm's Lullaby is one of my favorite tunes to sing to. Cam has a bunny music maker on his crib that plays the song, so he will pull the bunny to start the song and I sing whatever lyrics pop into my head.

That is a sweet story, I wonder if Cam pays attention to the words I sing?